Feedback wanted: Fedora Formulas

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 9 19:21:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:18:55 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 01:15:29PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Setup a infrastructure/framework around a collection of ansible
> > playbooks to allow our users to simply download a formula for what
> > they want to do and have a curated setup made for them using Fedora
> > packages.
>
> I think this is great work, and fills a big gap in Fedora as it is.

Cool. Hopefully enough folks find it interesting to work on. :)

> > Note that this assumes you have already installed Fedora, it's a
> > post install setup. This would mean that we should continue to do
> > spins for various desktops as people may way to install their
> > desktop as a base before adding on formulas.
>
> Presumably not just desktops, given your examples of openstack.
>
> I'd also like to "works in kickstart postinstall" as a basic feature.
> That means a non-interactive mode.

Yeah, I am on the fence about that. I guess we could say "there's
interactive support, but you can run --noninteractive and get some kind
of default/no optional features" ?

Something to hash out for sure.

> One of the big questions to answer is distribution. I can see good
> arguments on the one hand distributing formulas via RPM and on the
> other having an official Git repository for them.

Yep. I am torn here too. rpms get us a lot, but are also inflexable in
other ways. :)

kevin