comps' "standard" group spring cleaning?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 10 19:43:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 01:28:01PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:29:43AM -0600, Greg Swift wrote:
> > > maybe i'm weird too, but ya.. i use finger more than who
> > I think "alias" in your bashrc is the answer here. :)
> "finger" and "who" don't do the same thing, so an alias isn't going to
> help.

Well, it may help enough. Or alias it to getent if that's what you're
looking for. Or, if nothing is close enough:

alias finger="echo Don\'t do that."

But finger can still be installed on the multiple-user systems that still
persist, or in any environments which still run finger servers. (Are there
any?) I think the case is pretty good that it's obsolete.

Fun fact™: I learned from this conversation that my default personal user
environment still contains a .plan file.