comps' "standard" group spring cleaning?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 10 20:28:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:08:21 -0500
Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

...snip...

> In any case, attached is the initial diff I have.
>
> Some additional ideas, and reasons why I may have left things Iin
> that were suggested to remove...
>
> bind-utils in core?

Probibly for nslookup/dig. I'm fine leaving that in there.

...snip...

> Much like pinfo/info, there is mtr and traceroute. As a philosophy,
> should we by default be including 'better' versions of ancient unix
> tools instead of the standard ones?

If so, we would be leaving lftp in and taking ftp out? I'm fine
dropping both, and in the info case, leaving info for directory
ownership and dropping pinfo.

> We should probably split off network auth, network filesystem tools,
> and smart card auth, into their own separate groups.

Makes sense.

...snip...

> prelink. Ugh.

ok, I guess I could try again. Can we remove prelink?
What does it get us these days?

> smartmontools... could be dropped, if people don't use it much. All
> it does out of the box is e-mail root (and throw messages at the tty.)

smartctl is handy for troubleshooting...

kevin