comps' "standard" group spring cleaning?

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 22:33:28 UTC 2013

Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) said:
> Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> > Some additional ideas, and reasons why I may have left things Iin that were
> > suggested to remove...
>
> Okay, that's a starting point.
>
> However, what is the reasoning behind this?  There are a number of
> things in your list of removed things that are still quite useful and
> not redundant.  Before this really goes anywhere, what is the
> justification for what goes (and what stays in for that matter)?

Sure, going through the diff:

-      <packagereq>bc</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>dump</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>ed</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>finger</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>ftp</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>rdate</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>rsh</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>talk</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>telnet</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>ypbind</packagereq>

Moved to legacy-unix.

-      <packagereq>cyrus-sasl-plain</packagereq>

Should be Required: by apps that need it.

-      <packagereq>dbus</packagereq>

Pulled in implicitly by @core, moved there to be explicit.

-      <packagereq>logrotate</packagereq>

Required: by rsyslog. Not used if you're not using rsyslog.

-      <packagereq>ntsysv</packagereq>

Doesn't do much useful these days with systemd migration.
(chkconfig has redirects; this does not.)

-      <packagereq>tmpwatch</packagereq>

Out of the box, conflicts with systemd's own tmp reaper. For
apps that ship additional tmpwatch dirs (cups, etc.) they require it.

-      <packagereq>btrfs-progs</packagereq>

Will be installed by anaconda if you install on btrfs; can move
to @core if it becomes the default FS.

-      <packagereq>coolkey</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>pam_pkcs11</packagereq>

Will move to a smart-card-auth group shortly.

-      <packagereq>dmraid</packagereq>

Will be installed by anaconda if you need it.

-      <packagereq>fprintd-pam</packagereq>

Pulled in the GNOME desktop environment; doesn't need to be
in the smaller server installs.

-      <packagereq>irda-utils</packagereq>

Ancient cruft.

-      <packagereq>lftp</packagereq>

Removed; ftp is in legacy-unix.

-      <packagereq>mdadm</packagereq>

Will be installed by anaconda if you need it (and pulled in by
udisks2 if you install that.)

-      <packagereq>passwdqc</packagereq>

Not used in the default config any more (libpwquality is used.)

-      <packagereq>pcmciautils</packagereq>

Ancient cruft (for old 16-bit only slots.)

-      <packagereq>pm-utils</packagereq>

See Lennart's reasoning on this. I could be swayed, or convinced
that we should provide compat 'pm-suspend/pm-hibernate' binaries
that just link to systemctl.

-      <packagereq>rdist</packagereq>

Doesn't belong in @standard; possibly should be in legacy-unix, or
some other 'random administration utilities' section.

-      <packagereq>stunnel</packagereq>
-      <packagereq>tree</packagereq>

Not functionality needed by everyone out of the box.

-      <packagereq>time</packagereq>

bash has this builtin; don't think the additional features warrant
this on every non-minimal install.

-      <packagereq>vconfig</packagereq>

Functionality subsumed by /sbin/ip.

-      <packagereq>wget</packagereq>

curl is already in the minimal install. (This will get pulled in
by a bunch of other packages in Fedora anyway.)

-      <packagereq>wireless-tools</packagereq>

Functionality subsumed by iw. Although this is perhaps premature until
initscripts gets ported to it.

Bill