[rawhide] colord pulling in 32bit packages on 64bit installs

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:55:10 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 10:23 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 10 January 2013 20:58, Kalev Lember <kalevlember at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But the better solution I was thinking of is to split colord packaging
>> into two: one package with the shared library (colord-libs) and another
>> package with the daemon (colord). With a setup like this, only the
>> library subpackage would get multilibbed and the daemon package would
>> not. And then we could make the non-multilibbed daemon package obsolete
>> shared-color-profiles.
>
> This makes sense to me, on the assumption we can somehow mark the
> arch-specific daemon package as non-multilibbed. I must admit I'm not
> sure on how all this stuff works.

It's 'mash' that decides what gets multilibbed. If I read it right, it
multilibs packages that install files that match the libdir/*.so.*
pattern, plus a number of hardcoded special cases. It's a bit like
magic, we'll see how it turns out in tomorrow's rawhide compose.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/mash/tree/mash/multilib.py#n74

>> As to how feasible this is, I guess that's a question to Richard. Can
>> the 32 bit colord library talk to the 64 bit daemon?
>
> Sure, it's just using D-Bus and the odd bit of fd-passing, so it
> should work just fine. I can work on this tomorrow if you want, of if
> you want to play, please just jump in a fix rawhide tonight for me.

Alright, I've pushed the -libs split to rawhide:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/colord.git/commit/?id=30fa2dfe

One thing that's still left to do is to make something require the
daemon package, so that it gets dragged in for new installs. Can you
figure out where the dep should go and add it there? (Or possibly leave
it up to comps to drag it in.)

My first reaction was to make colord-libs depend on colord. However,
since gtk3 (its cups printing backend) is linked against libcolord,
adding the dep there would make colord daemon and argyllcms a hard dep
for gtk3; I suppose there might be people with minimal install use cases
that would prefer a more flexible approach.

--
Kalev