comps' "standard" group spring cleaning?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 11 14:24:40 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 03:08:21PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> +    <id>legacy-unix</id>
> +    <_name>Legacy Unix Support</_name>
> +    <_description>These packages include clients and commands for legacy unix environments.</_description>
> +    <default>false</default>

I'm not a big fan of this. It mashes a lot of disparate cases together.

> +    <uservisible>false</uservisible>
> +    <packagelist>
> +      <packagereq>bc</packagereq>

Very likely to be used in scripts. There's a reasonable expectation for this
to be there. I think it should stay in @standard.

> +      <packagereq>ed</packagereq>

Much less likely these days. But whatever.

> +      <packagereq>finger</packagereq>

The network protocol is obsolete, but as evidenced by the discussion people
still do use it.

> +      <packagereq>ftp</packagereq>

This is one of those things where if I'm going to install something _on
purpose_, I'd just use lftp, but which, were I providing an environment for
other people, I'd put there as a courtesy. Maybe that's what "Legacy Unix
Support" means.

> +      <packagereq>rsh</packagereq>

On the other hand, this one I wouldn't include, because it's an easy upsell
to ssh.

> +      <packagereq>talk</packagereq>

This is a historical curiosity and unlikely to be useful to people who want
the other things.

> +      <packagereq>telnet</packagereq>

Incredibly common for testing network connectivity. I think this should stay
in standard.

> +      <packagereq>ypbind</packagereq>

But *this* is environment-specific, and these days most people won't need it
at all. I don't think it belongs in any group.