Something is killing my Koji build

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 11 16:04:47 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 01:12 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 11 January 2013 11:32, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> Then its configure script likely honors --disable-silent-rules
>
> That works a treat, thanks.
>
>> In both cases, it's worth contacting upstream to tell them about the
>> harmfulness of silent make rules
>
> Well, I am upstream :)
Your decision, your poison - Feel encouraged to change your decision :)

> When I'm developing software it's a lot easier
> to spot warnings when they're not buried in pages and pages of debug
> output. That said, I agree we need the full logs when building
> packages. I'll fix up all my packages to do --disable-silent-rules
> when I next bump their versions.
Well, I am very opposed to silent makerules.

All silent-makerules are doing is to span a hidden mine-field of bugs to
trap users into.

E.g. are you sure your include paths and the defines your packages are
using are correct? With silent makerules, you and your users won't
notice them being wrong - building only appears to be working, while you
package actually is totally misconfigured.

It's guaranteed such situation will happen, it only a matter of time.

Ralf