Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2013-01-09)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 22:24:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 14:15 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> * #963 change of names of configuration files  (jwb, 18:15:11)
>   * LINK: https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/963   (jwb, 18:15:12)
>   * AGREED: firstboot is fixed so closing the ticket out and maintainers
>     can fix remaining in the normal cycle (+:9,0:0,-:0)  (jwb, 18:17:18)
>   * LINK: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mitr/SystemwideFeatures
>     already contains this in the "scope" section  (mitr, 18:20:48)

Sorry I wasn't at the meeting, but it _is_ worth noting that some of the
borkage from this is relatively serious. For instance,
system-config-keyboard is entirely screwed in F18: it will apply a
chosen keyboard layout for the rest of a session but it can no longer
correctly apply it persistently, you'll lose the setting on reboot.
(It's still writing the old filename in the old format). At minimum it
needs to be fixed to write the console layout name to /etc/vconsole.conf
correctly, since it's too late to drop it, now.

GNOME can apply a keyboard config you set via GNOME Control Center
systemwide, using localectl. I'm not sure KDE, Xfce, LXDE or other
desktops have any ability to do this, though, so if you're running one
of those, your only option for setting a system-wide keyboard config may
be calling localectl or editing vconsole.conf directly.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey