Strange Build problem....

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 20:43:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 01:42:21PM -0500, Steve Dickson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm seeing following build error
>    http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/1677/4871677/build.log
>
> But I'm not seeing this error on local f18 or f17 builds...
>
> Note, the same version of python-matplotlib (1.2.0-5) is being used in all the builds...
>
> How do I debug something like this??

Trial and error probably :-(

Grep the sources to find out where the error message is coming from:

./nfsometerlib/config.py:    import_error("Error importing matplotlib submodules - this is probably an incompatible version of matplotlib")

Take a look at the code there:

try:
    # Don't require $DISPLAY to be set!
    matplotlib.use('Agg')
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    import matplotlib.font_manager as fm
except:
    import_error("Error importing matplotlib submodules - this is probably an incompatible version of matplotlib")

The comment might be a clue or might be a red herring.  It looks like
matplotlib.use() sets the library to output to something that doesn't need
DISPLAY.  If the Agg output has changed in F18, that might be the problem.

The try: except: is swallowing all errors here.  Getting a more verbose
traceback may help diagnose.  You can remove the try: except: and dedent the
remaining code one level to get the actual traceback in the build.log.

-Toshio