Drop of the "libjpeg-turbo jpeg8 ABI" feature

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 16:51:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 09:38:29AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:14:26 +0100
> Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > after discussion with libjpeg and libjpeg-turbo upstreams I decided
> > to drop the "jpeg8 API/ABI" feature and include only jpeg6 API/ABI.
> > The main reason is that libjpeg upstream didn't present any valid
> > argument for post-jpeg6 changes and libjpeg-turbo is not going to
> > port all post-jpeg6 changes. The thread with related discussion is on
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30352465
> >
> > I'm going to build the libjpeg-turbo pkg with jpeg6 API/ABI and then
> > I will start with rebuilds of all dependent packages. This can
> > probably happen during Friday.
> >
> > Any comments are welcome.
>
> Just a few. ;)
>
> 1. Are you expecting to do all the rebuilds in one day so they all land
> in rawhide at the same time? If not, perhaps a side tag?

Yes, rebuild will happen during one day.

> 2. Do you have a list of affected packages?

# repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires 'libjpeg.so.8()(64bit)' |wc -l
373

> 3. Many folks are going to be at fudcon friday, so the chances of
> people being around to fix their packages, etc are low. Perhaps early
> next week would be better to land this?

I will use my provenpackager privileges and I will rebuild pkgs myself, as I did
for jpeg6->jpeg8 ABI bump. I think it's good that people are away because buildroots
will be broken for some time so people won't be affected :)

Separate tag is not needed, I think.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.