Proposed F19 Feature: Erlyvideo - add Erlyvideo video streaming server to the Fedora repositories

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 16:55:09 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Josh Boyer (jwboyer at gmail.com) said:
> > On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Jaroslav Reznik
> > <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > As decided by FESCo on 2012-12-05 meeting, all proposed Features
> > > are required
> > > to pass through the community review by announcing them on
> > > devel-announce list.
> > > FESCo votes on new features no sooner than a week from the
> > > announcement.
> > >
> > > = Features/Erlyvideo =
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Erlyvideo
> > >
> > > * Detailed description:
> > > Erlyvideo is a modern video streaming server, written in Erlang.
> > > You can use
> > > Erlyvideo to stream to Flash, iPad, Android, SetTopBox.
> > >
> > > Unique features like capturing endless streams, streaming
> > > directly from Amazon
> > > S3-like storages and connecting to SDI make this server a best
> > > choice for
> > > building video infrastructure.
> >
> > I'm kind of concerned about this one.  The Feature page seems to be
> > more
> > of an announcement that the application is packaged than anything
> > else.
> > It was last updated back in August, and it is still at 0%.  While
> > we
> > might debate the usefulness of percentages, it's hard to
> > misinterpret 0.
>
> Also, the scope bits about the issues with codecs are not
> encouraging. Do we
> know that streaming to any of the above targets will work with
> patent-unencumbered codecs?

Indeed,
from technical POV it's probably the main question - how useful it will
be with codecs we provide in Fedora, what's the backend used for it
and if it will be possible to split the package to bits that are ok for
Fedora (and then it could be included in Fedora) and patent-encumbered
stuff distributed by other means.

R.