Changing bugz.fp.o's alias (again)

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 17:45:17 UTC 2013

A month ago, I switched over the http://bugz.fedoraproject.org alias from the
current pkgdb bugs app[1] to the new "packages" app[2].  There was a response
from the community that this shouldn't have happened during that phase of the
release cycle and that the new app was broken and too slow[3][4].  I reverted
the alias to point again to pkgdb.

I've since done some work to fix bugs and speed up the new app and would like
some feedback if you could provide it.  It is up in our staging environment
at:

    https://apps.stg.fedoraproject.org/packages/

If I were to switch over the alias again to the new packages app, the
https://bugz.fedoraproject.org/kernel alias would redirect to something like:

    https://apps.stg.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/bugs/all/

Some details:  I put cacheing in place.  If you hit a page and it is slow the
first time, it should be fast for subsequent requests.  The expiration is set
to 5 minutes, so changes to bugs in bugzilla during that time won't show up.
After the expiry, a request for new data will fire off a background thread to
refresh the cache.

Again, the motivation behind switching the alias from the pkgdb app to the
"packages" app is that the pkgdb app's code is older and getting harder to
maintain.  We are trying to prune (delete) non-essential parts of pkgdb's code
in order to one-day rewrite only the core components on a more modern stack.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers-
 -Ralph

[1] - https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb