Proposed F19 Feature: GCC48 - switch GCC in Fedora 19 to 4.8.x, rebuild all packages with it

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 16 19:15:25 UTC 2013

> GCC 4.8.0 is going to be released in mid March to mid April and is currently
> in regression bugfix only mode. I've performed a test mass rebuild on x86_64

Looking at the schedule.... Wouldn't it be better to do the mass rebuild in
Rawhide before the branch?

If we're really looking at a second-half-of-May final release, that means
beta testing ends the beginning of May, which possibly puts the window for
the rebuild _after_ the beta release (let alone before the branch).

If we're going to have a short F19 cycle, maybe this should be accepted now
for F20 and happen in Rawhide after the branch. Or, if the F19 cycle is to
be longer, maybe that's not an issue.

Unless we're really confident that this won't cause problems.