Proposed F19 Feature: GCC48 - switch GCC in Fedora 19 to 4.8.x, rebuild all packages with it

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 20:39:21 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:15:25 -0500
> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > > GCC 4.8.0 is going to be released in mid March to mid April and
> > > is
> > > currently in regression bugfix only mode. I've performed a test
> > > mass rebuild on x86_64
> >
> > Looking at the schedule.... Wouldn't it be better to do the mass
> > rebuild in Rawhide before the branch?
>
> We always do this, yes.
>
> > If we're really looking at a second-half-of-May final release, that
> > means beta testing ends the beginning of May, which possibly puts
> > the
> > window for the rebuild _after_ the beta release (let alone before
> > the
> > branch).
>
> FESCo has not yet decided the schedule. We should nuke those stupid
> DRAFT sections, because they are just confusing people.

Sure I can do that, I did not find a better way how to communicate the
decision? Any better idea? As we still need some guidance for F19. It
affects more teams.

> > If we're going to have a short F19 cycle, maybe this should be
> > accepted now for F20 and happen in Rawhide after the branch. Or, if
> > the F19 cycle is to be longer, maybe that's not an issue.
> >
> > Unless we're really confident that this won't cause problems.
>
> We need to decide the schedule soon IMHO.

I think at submission deadline we should have a good overview of what's
probably getting in (even not every single feature will be approved by
that time, as there's +1 week for announcement, some time to discuss it).

I like the idea to do proper planning but it also blocks other teams
and people starts complaining (the reason I wrote above we need at least
some guidance so I'd like to avoid removing even this very sparse info).

But I'm getting OT here - let's talk more about it at FUDCon.

Btw. for scheduling, I asked Jakub today for details before announcing
the Feature, I put his answer in a Talk page. But he already answered
that (you see, I expected that question ;-), I just did not want to
block announcement on that as I'd like to have it ready for next FESCo
meeting (to make as much stuff done before departing for FUDCon, sorry).

"[18:26] <jakub_> jreznik: as for scheduling, mid march/mid april is the
gcc upstream release, it would land into Fedora within a few days from now,
then voluntary rebuilding, after a few days or week or three full mass
rebuild"

Jaroslav