Proposed F19 Feature: BIND10 - next generation of the popular BIND9 DNS server rewritten from scratch

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 20:53:42 UTC 2013

> Jaroslav Reznik (jreznik at redhat.com) said:
> > As decided by FESCo on 2012-12-05 meeting, all proposed Features are required
> > to pass through the community review by announcing them on devel-announce list.
> > FESCo votes on new features no sooner than a week from the announcement.
> >
> > = Features/BIND 10 =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BIND10
> >
> > * Detailed description:
> > BIND10 suite implements two crucial network services - DNS and DHCP.
> > The BIND10 is going to replace both widely used ISC BIND9 and ISC DHCP4
> > software in the future. It is written from scratch and has modular design.
>
> And... dhcp6?
>
> I note that the feature page describes this as a parallel installable stack.
> Is there a reason to keep both versions around in a way we didn't with
> other bind major upgrades?

Bind 10 is a completely new project.

Shares no code nor anything with bind 9, they could as well have changed
name to avoid confusion but they did not.

It will take quite a while before bind10 will be usable as a replacement
for bind9 for most use cases.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York