Fwd: [Libjpeg-turbo-users] jpeg-9, API/ABI compatibility, and the future role of this project

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 21:26:58 UTC 2013

On 16/01/13 21:40, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> writes:
>> read more carefully then: the git repo contains binaries built against
>> different Ubuntu baseline versions, the older of which have jpeg6 and
>> the newer jpeg8.
>
> [ shrug... ]  So we'd be incompatible with some of them no matter what.
> But the bigger point is that we can't let Ubuntu make decisions for us
> about which versions of which packages Fedora is going to ship.

oh certainly, i just wanted to point out that hoping that "other
distributions don't use that release" is futile -- it's already too late :(

(also i forgot to mention that my problem could easily be avoided by
using a --without-system-jpeg option when building those binaries; the
guy who built them already has my complaint on file :).