Reproposed F19 Feature: Fix Network Name Resolution [Was: DualstackNetworking]

Pavel Simerda psimerda at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 01:36:38 UTC 2013

> > = Features/Fix Network Name Resolution =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FixNetworkNameResolution
>
> Why would this be a Fedora issue

Isn't glibc used in Fedora for name resolution?

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FixNetworkNameResolution#Rationale

> Seems to me this falls squarely inside the scope of glibc

Not entirely.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FixNetworkNameResolution#Affected_software

> and it should be taken care of in glibc upstream

As much as possible, yes, as is the case with many other fedora features.

> rather than in Fedora.

For me, the reliability and robustness of fedora networking is fairly important. I'd say more important than most of the “update package X to version Y” features.

Submitting patches upstream is part of what makes Fedora a good distribution.

Cheers,

Pavel