Adding asynchronous name resolution to GlibC (was: Reproposed F19 Feature: Fix Network Name Resolution)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Jan 18 19:48:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, 18.01.13 20:20, Björn Persson (bjorn at rombobjörn.se) wrote:

> If your functions get added to GlibC, then they will only be available
> in GNU systems (unless other vendors decide to clone them) and programs
> that use them will be tied to GNU or will need workarounds in their
> configuration scripts in order to be portable. If you make them a
> separate, portable library, then they can be installed on all Unix-like
> systems, and maybe other operating systems too, and programs that use
> them will also be portable. Wouldn't that be better?

Yes, let's make our platform as bad as possible, so that people really
have a hard time writing software for it. If they then do write software
for it anyway they will have to do everything on their own, pull in a
gazillion of dependencies for that, and can do that in a thousand
different combinations, because that makes the code better, gets people
to test codepaths better, and just makes their lifes a lot more fun.

For example, I really find it appalling that Linux had proper threads
support (and even in the libc!) so early, at a time where OpenBSD
didn't. I think Linux really hurt the open source ecosystem with
that, as people could write threaded up for Linux that then wouldn't
work on OpenBSD.

Booh, Linux, bad, Linux!

Lennart

--