installer final touches matters

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:15:20 UTC 2013

hi,

the fedora's new installer got many innovative features

but it's missing many critical easy to fix final touches from user
experiance point of view

let me mention some
I've tried fedora 18 live cd,

I was offered to choose LVM, standard or BTRFS
and later went through partitioning process and when I'm done
the "begin installation" button was disabled
leaving the user without any clue or error message
I've done all steps in a proper way (I've prepared a partition for / and
swap ..etc.)
I know what was the problem (as a fedora developer, I know that live
installation is just blind copying of an already made filesystem which you
can't change its type from ext4 to BTRFS)

in general we should not offer BTRFS option
and always tell the user the reason and how he should fix it

let's take this screenshot

http://i4.minus.com/j0HyRgwBFv38q.png

I believe the orange ribbon should be at the top
it's not status bad, it's an error flash message

we see 3 items, one of them "no disk selected"
it has the same level of importance as the rest two,
I believe its background or foreground should be made red or orange.

choosing the destination is scary, since people know there are some steps
might wipe the entire disk, the screen below needs a way to gently tell the
user that this step is not scare "the monster is not in this step"

http://i.minus.com/jWQMDfIBvDHZZ.png

later steps should *tell* the user what to do
eg. delete a partition then activate auto partitioning
or create an ext4 mounted as /

always tell the user what is the problem and how can he/she fix it