git rebase request on a project

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 12:28:12 UTC 2013

Quoting Stephen Gallagher (2013-01-18 15:27:30)

> On Fri 18 Jan 2013 06:55:26 AM EST, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
> wrote:
> >   Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I cannot find any information.
> >
> >   I would like to have "git rebase master" on f16, f17, and f18
> > branches of  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/megaglest.git
> > I once messed it a bit by adding a commit only to branches and
> > later merging master, now I cannot merge without a "merge master"
> > commit, and am not allowed to push myself a "git rebase master"
> > branch.
>

> Rebases like that are not permitted in Fedora because they rewrite
> history (and therefore mean we wouldn't be able to exactly recreate an
> older build if we needed to). You're going to have to do the merge and
> manage the merge conflicts appropriately (either via 'git merge' or by
> starting from the tarball and working your way up again without a merge
> commit).

If I understood Paulo correctly, he merely wanted to linearize his history so he
can continue doing fast-forward merges again. I've cross-merged branches so that
they are now again on the same hash. Content of all branches (f16+) was the same
so they were all without conflicts.

For future, please do everything in master first :-)

Enjoy,

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241