Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2013-01-09)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 20:50:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 20:40 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > No reason why. It's practically the poster child for something that can
> > be fixed with a post-release update, as it by definition only affects
> > post-release configuration. I didn't even bother nominating it as a
> > blocker and it would have been comfortably rejected if it had been
> > proposed.
>
> So anything that can be fixed with a post-release update is automatically
> not a blocker anymore? What happened to the blocker criterion that any
> application in the menu must withstand a basic functionality test? system-
> config-keyboard is clearly non-functional in F18 GA!
>
> And are we content to ship a completely nonfunctional placeholder image
> which, maybe, if developers get around to pushing suitable updates, upgrades
> into a working distribution? Some amount of functionality must be working in
> GA, or it becomes a farce!

Well, no, that's clearly not what we do. I do wish you wouldn't
exaggerate to absurdity, it doesn't reinforce your point. I didn't mean
that bugs which are fixable with updates cannot possibly be blockers,
but it's a factor we take into consideration, and it signifies in this
case.

We have defined our requirements for what has to work in a release, it's
not perfect but there is a definition, it's the release criteria. To
take a very 'official process' look at this bug, the criteria say that
any app which is in the menus has to basically work.
system-config-keyboard is not in the GNOME or KDE menus - it's NotShowIn
in the .desktop file - so it's not covered by that requirement.

The requirements aren't perfect and can be adjusted, but we do have
them, and this bug did not meet them as defined for F18.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey