installer final touches matters

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Tue Jan 22 03:25:20 UTC 2013

>  I believe that fedora-18 can be installed using less [than 511MB] RAM, ...

Yes.  I just successfully completed a default install of Gnome3 desktop
from Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD,iso (converted to USB2.0 using livecd-iso-to-disk)
using only the additional kernel boot parameters " mem=383m nomemcheck".
"mem=383m" tells the kernel to use only 383MB of RAM; "nomemcheck" tells
anaconda to omit the test for a minimum 512MB of RAM.  The installed
system boots and functions correctly.

Using /proc/meminfo I verified that only 383MB of RAM was being used.
/usr/bin/top confirmed this, and also showed swap usage that peaked
at about 337MB; so the "swap-free" size of anaconda-18.37.11 for this
install is about 383MB + 337MB = 720MB.  Total install time was less than
14 minutes using 3.3GHz Intel Core-i5 and SATA-2 3Gbit/s 7200RPM harddrive,
so the swapping had only small impact on the duration of the install.

I await documentation of claims that anaconda RAM requirements
have been "skyrocketing" over the last several releases.