Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 07:55:34 UTC 2013

> Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> writes:
> > Tom Lane (tgl at redhat.com) said:
> >> (If the compatibility testing goes *really* smoothly, maybe we could
> >> just drop the requirement for original mysql to still be available,
> >> in which case it reduces to the standard package-replacement problem.
> >> But I'm not prepared to bet on that quite yet.)
>
> > Honestly, I'd be curious as to whether we could get all the compatibility
> > testing done early enough, and packages changed, such that we could consider
> > dropping MySQL. It's just... cleaner.
>
> Quite honestly, I'd prefer that too.  But we need to have a good case
> that it's not going to break very many things for very many people.
> Database people hate it when you break their database.  So ... as
> mentioned in the feature page, we really need help testing this during
> the F19 devel cycle.  We'll need to make decisions before we reach
> alpha/beta stage.

Yeah, 'all the compatibility testing' is something of a vague idea to
pin down :) We can certainly run a couple of test days and ask as many
people as possible to try Maria on their setups and make sure nothing's
amiss, but it's the kind of thing where it's pretty hard to know you've
covered everything. I'm no SQL expert and I'm not sure who is; is there
anyone who's well-experienced in this area who would be willing to lead
testing efforts? Is there any kind of well-known, respected test suite
for MySQL?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey