Proposed F19 Feature: JRuby 1.7 - JRuby is an alternative Ruby implementation

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:43:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:44:16PM +0100, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 07:28 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >As JRuby is setup to share pure ruby gems with ruby, I don't think this can
> >be approved (inlcuding the update to the jruby package to do this) until FPC
> >rules on whether it's okay for interpreters and languages which are not
> >completely compatible to share modules.  FPC will hopefully have quorum
> >tomorrow morning to meet.  If not, or if they have issues with the
> >guidelines, perhaps slavek and I can meet to try to figure out ways around
> >the issues.  I'll know more after the FPC meeting time tomorrow morning.
> >
> >-Toshio
> >

> Hi Toshio,
> sharing Ruby gems between JRuby and rvm is supported by upstream, so
> why should we disagree with upstream? They know best what they can
> support. In Ruby world is JRuby used with ruby gems and other
> projects in Fedora can only benefit from this behaviour.

Hey Marcela, sharing of code by language interpreters that are not fully
compatible with each other is a big change to how Fedora ships packages.
This needs to be considered by FPC to decide if it's okay to do so and if
the methods suggested protect user's who are just trying to install working
versions of the applications.

Personally, I'm leaning towards liking the concept.  Agreeing with the idea
of a script to multiplex between different interpreters for applications.
And thinking that the Provides and Requires proposal is insufficient.  But
like I say, I don't know what the rest of FPC thinks.  So I don't yet know
if we'll need to make small alterations to the Provides and Requires
proposal or throw it out and figure out a different way to do it (or if the
whole concept will be deemed unfit).

I'll know more after the meeting.

-Toshio