Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:47:18 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 07:29 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Jaroslav Reznik<jreznik at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> >= Features/FedoraUpgrade =
>> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraUpgrade
>> >
>> >Feature owner(s):  Miroslav Suchý<msuchy at redhat.com>
>> >
>> >Upgrade Fedora to next version using yum upgrade.
> I see no reason to make this an officially supported method to upgrade
> Fedora.  The QA team is already swamped with work just getting the new
> install tests done, and now fedup tests.  Having a third way of getting
> a Fedora release onto a machine is going to expand the testing matrix
> even more.  This isn't replacing something, it's just creating more
> work.
>
> Yum upgrade has always been possible but not supported.  Seems it can
> stay that way.

a)

QA was never asked when preupgrade got approved as an official upgrade
method in the first place...

b)

We QA have alot of QA community members testing this so this does NOT
require any additional effort or cause additional LOAD on the QA community.

c)

We ( QA )  already have discussed this and it takes minor criteria
changed for us to implement this ( either or ).

yum upgrade is equally broken from my pov as preupgrade or fedup thus to
me we can just as well "support" two failed upgrade mechanism or non et
all.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out we cant probably
"support" upgrading  until we default to brtrfs and users can rollback
and boot into their old environment just incase heck our own so called
default desktop does not handle upgrades very well.

So I say let's support both or non et all..

JBG