Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Jan 24 00:07:25 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 02:49 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:

>                         Just looking at 'lspci' will in most
> cases tell you what the name of the network interface will be.

This is not true for my machines, which I built using main boards
from ASUS, MSI, etc.  The port numbers listed by 'lspci' (thus part of
the default udev name) do NOT correspond to slot numbers in any simple way.
Therefore the udev name requires translation in order to find
the right cable.  This is not good.

biosdevname has the advantage that I can determine the mapping
between cable and interface name by looking at the back of the
machine (where the cables plug in) and counting slots first,
then jacks per slot.  biosdevname has handled the mapping between
physical slot and logical PCI port.