Proposed F19 Feature: OpenStack Grizzly

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Thu Jan 24 01:07:57 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 09:42 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Michael Scherer (misc at zarb.org) said:
>> While it may be harder to predict the feature that will land in
>> Openstack at this point, would it be possible to have at least a idea of
>> the new features and changes that such upgrade will bring ?
>>
>> It is hard to say if this is a good idea or not without it, and hard to
>> write a good marketing pitch based on this.
>
> The desktop features usually do some of this, where they mention not just
> the new version, but the major improvements in that new version.

I'd already included a summary of major new features in the release notes section:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OpenStack_Grizzly#Release_Notes
We'll continue to update as the release approaches.

> Also, I note: "Upgrades from Folsom to Grizzly may need significant upstream
> work to achieve."  Do we know what sort of work this may imply?

So in summary fully live upgrade probably wont be possible
for grizzly, but the upgrade procedure should at least be simplified.

Here are notes on Diablo -> Essex which was an awkward transition:
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg16199.html

Here are notes on upgrading Essex to Folsom which is better:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Getting_started_with_OpenStack_EPEL

Here are related notes from the last OpenStack Design summit
detailing planned improvements to Grizzly in this area:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-live-upgrade
https://etherpad.openstack.org/GrizzlyUpgradeGrenade
https://etherpad.openstack.org/grizzly-quantum-upgrade-path

thanks,