Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Jan 24 02:46:35 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 05:29 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> What udev does here is the only sensible thing to do, if there is no
> authoritative information from the firmware about that, we don't make
> assumptions, we use the reasonable stable PCI geography. Guessing
> around which might the "human" slot number should be avoided for many
> reasons.

FWIW - I did a BIOS upgrade and reconfig on one of our machines and the
PCI slot numbers as shown in lscpi changed for our SATA controllers.
Caused a bit of panic when we ended up pulling the wrong drive.  Perhaps
the BIOS assisted names would have been more stable in this case for the
ethernet names, I don't know.

I'm not trying to disparage this work, it seems reasonable (although
I've been bitten by a lot of crappy software assuming network devices
are named eth#, but it's able to be turned off, so meh).  Just passing
along a data point.  YMMV and all that.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com