drop inheritance at f19 branch point?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 24 03:31:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24.01.13 03:54, Till Maas (opensource at till.name) wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:38:30PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Wed, 23.01.13 14:20, Kevin Fenzi (kevin at scrye.com) wrote:
> >
> > > I know we have discussed this before, but I've filed a FESCo ticket to
> > > ask them one way or another about the issue:
> > >
> > > https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1005
> > >
> > > Feedback welcome. If you are a maintainer who doesn't have a minute to
> > > do a rawhide build during the branched cycle, would you be open to
> > > someone else doing those builds for you?
> >
> > Oh, yeah, let's make it even more work to update a package. Because we
> > have so much free time, let's let humans do what computers could do
> > better.
>
> Except that doing an update for rawhide does cost nearly nothing
> compared to the other branches (no bodhi update needs to be created). If
> you just update the master branch you can easily let the computer do all
> the work to also build for e.g. f18:
>
> for b in master f18; do fedpkg switch-branch $b; git merge master;
> git push; fedpkg build --nowait; done

Let's not forget that that's hardly a fun line to type and remember, and
I have to keep in mind how branches are set up (i.e. what is branched
and what is not) and that information is coded in that line, so it's not
the total nobrainer, I actually have to think each time...

You know, I really dislike packaging things. I love hacking. If I
package something then that's an ugly side effect of what I really want
to do. And thus I'd spend as little time on packaging as I can. Don't
make it any harder, by forcing me to remember, adjust and issue arcane
command lines each time.

Updating packages isn't fun. Instead of making this less work for
humans, and more for computers you are doing just the opposite and leave
more the humans and less to computers.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.