Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 06:17:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 19:47 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 22:47:18 +0000,
>    "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\"" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >b)
> >
> >We QA have alot of QA community members testing this so this does NOT
> >require any additional effort or cause additional LOAD on the QA
> >community.
>
> Aren't they just testing an upgrade of the default install?

Correct:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_desktop is the only current upgrade test case.

We could plausibly extend the range somewhat to cover common package
loadouts (GNOME, KDE, minimal perhaps) and common configuration wrinkles
(non-US keyboard layout, encryption, a couple of different partition
schemes), for _one_ upgrade method. Anything beyond that would be a bit
of a stretch, I think.

> I don't think people are doing any automated testing of proper obsoletes
> for dropped packages,

Correct.

>  though most problems could probably be detected.
> And this still doesn't handle dropped packages that are being replaced.
>
> >yum upgrade is equally broken from my pov as preupgrade or fedup thus
> >to me we can just as well "support" two failed upgrade mechanism or
> >non et all.
>
> Anaconda does some tricks that get packages installed even when there
> are problems that don't get handled by a normal yum update. (Or at least
> used to. (With the move toward not using special stuff in anaconda, maybe
> this isn't true any more.)

fedup does not use anaconda in any way. anaconda didn't really do any
'tricks', IIRC, it just ran the upgrade in skip-broken mode. I don't
know if fedup uses skip-broken or not.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey