Proposed F19 Feature: JRuby 1.7 - JRuby is an alternative Ruby implementation

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 06:45:32 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> I think the more interesting question is what to do about extensions
> (ie. not pure Ruby gems that contain C code).  Last time I looked
> JRuby was pretty incompatible; in fact for libguestfs we recommend
> that people use the *Java* bindings with JRuby ...
>
> Rich.

JRuby and Ruby won't share extensions. Extensions for Ruby will live in %{_libdir}/gems/ruby, while extensions for JRuby will in %{_datadir}/gems/jruby (although we decided not to actually ship any JRuby extension Gems for F19 as we want to take more time to figure out the guidelines specifics around it).
JRuby is pretty incompatible with C extensions. In fact, guys from upstream told me that they may even completely drop support for C extensions, as its very hard to maintain and doesn't really bring significant benefits. That's why we don't want to do it in Fedora.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.