drop inheritance at f19 branch point?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 10:22:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:38:00AM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> And I disagree with this proposal.
>
> It is mixed for me. Sometimes, I'd like to update in Rawhide,
> especially if the freeze is taking long, while in other cases, I
> need to do some bugfix in my packages which is found during testing
> and needs to be applied to both branches. In this case, the
> inheritance saves my work, while disabling the inheritance would
> always duplicate my work. So the current state is ideal from my POV.

It doesn't duplicate your work, although it increases it a little.

If you keep the history of master and the fX branches consistent, and
use 'fedpkg clone -B', then what you actually have to do is:

 - make the change in package/master
 - fedpkg push && fedpkg build --nowait
 - cd ../f18
 - git pull ../master
 - fedpkg push && fedpkg build --nowait

The only extra work here is an extra pull and build.

The flip side of this is that when you *don't* build in Rawhide you
potentially push work and breakage to somebody else.  Your package may
not build in Rawhide, leaving someone else to find that out when they
try to rebuild it or do a mass rebuild.  And inheritance sometimes
doesn't work or does something unexpected, and others have to pick up
the pieces.

Rich.