Fedora Windows Spice/Virtio KVM drivers and tools (was Re: Red Hat QXL GPU Driver for Windows 7?)

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 10:31:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 05:18:10PM +0100, Simone Caronni wrote:
> On 23 January 2013 16:11, Christophe Fergeau <cfergeau at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1) Recent version from Fedora in iso format
> > > - No WHQL, no changelog, no QXL drivers, no Spice Agent available, no
> > source
> >
> > Err, there are sources, see
> > http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/src/
> >

> Well, here are the code "drops" every once in a while, no git repository or
> any way to see what's "cooking" or the status of things.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
My understanding is that they are based on the git repo linked there if
this is the information you want.

> > For this use case, all they need to do is to grab the spice-guest-tools
> > installer and run that, the mess you describe is the exact reason why I'm
> > building this installer.
> >

> The installer works good and is a very nice addition, but the QXL drivers
> do not work, as it's not signed.

I'm not sure how to test whether it's signed or not, but I just tested that
the driver works in a winxp 32 bit install.

> To summarize, what would be nice to have is the addition of recently built
> Spice Agents and signed QXL drivers in the Fedora iso.

I'm not sure qxl + spice agent really belongs in the virtio-win ISO on
alt.fedoraproject.org, as these virtio drivers can be useful to people not
using SPICE at all. However, if you are willing to build such an ISO from
the bits and pieces from this virtio-win ISO and from spice-space.org, it
would make sense to provide it alongside the spice-guest-tools installer on
spice-space.org.

Christophe