Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jan 24 14:27:51 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> said:
> Several knowledgeable developers have asserted that - while it often
> happens to work out okay - online upgrading is an inherently dangerous
> operation, I don't see that the limited amount of validation QA is able
> to offer can possibly gainsay them.

The way some other Unix OSes I've used worked for version upgrades was
to require the admin drop to single-user mode first, optionally with
network access.  RHL/RHEL/Fedora have never had a "single-user with
network" mode, but that would be nice to have.  Then maybe "yum upgrade"
could require (or at least recommend) switching to that mode first.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>