Status to make btsfs to the standard filesystem of Fedora

Ric Wheeler rwheeler at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 15:23:38 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 03:53 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 12:08 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> Mistakenly left this paragraph incomplete, completion follows:
>
>> I understand that btrfs is a Different Way Of Doing Things, but I don't
>> think it flies to tell people 'yeah, the tools you've relied on for
>> simple info on filesystems for years don't work any more, learn this
>> whole new set of tools'. There should at least be an effort to make very
>> standard tools return information that's as close as possible to what
>> the user wanted. This is particularly important in the context of 'make
>> it the default': right now we can make a reasonable assumption that
>> people who pick to install with btrfs are actively interested in it and
>> willing to learn the Right Way to interact with it, but by making it the
>> default, we'd be
> ...causing people who aren't particularly interested in btrfs to use it,
> people who probably would be unhappy if the standard tools they'd been
> using for years or decades suddenly started reporting what is
> effectively nonsense.

Some of the issues with space reporting are really the same challenges we have
with traditional file systems when we have active read-write snapshots under
them. Space accounting gets tricky when things like "rm" can actually increase
the utilized blocks in your storage pool :)

Not sure that there is an easy path forward here and this will clearly take some
time for people to wrap their heads around,

Ric