Proposed F19 Feature: Checkpoint/Restore

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Jan 24 16:03:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 02:55:53PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:35:50PM +0000, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> > To offer the checkpoint/restore functionality the package crtools has been
> > imported into Fedora and changes are still necessary to the kernel RPM.
>
> Is this feature suggesting implementing everything up until that point and
> waiting for the rest of the changes to trickle down from upstream, or is it
> suggesting carrying the patches *now* in anticipation?

Most of the required changes are already included upstream and need
three kernel config options to be enabled. The decision about this
whole feature depends mainly on the kernel maintainers if they think these
options are ready to be enabled or not. I imported the user-space tools
(crtools) which need those three kernel config options. If it is decided
this is too experimental then the package can easily be retired again.

		Adrian