Proposed F19 Feature: Syslinux Option

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jan 24 18:48:18 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz> said:
> So, to summarize, this saves <= 6 MB of disk space, and <= 1 second of
> boot time, at the cost of extra maintenance and QA burden in anaconda
> and grubby?

Well, there's already code somewhere in Fedora that supports syslinux as
a boot loader, as all the install and live images use it.  It is also
the solution for PXE booting (although I don't think there are any tools
that handle PXE configuration).  Wouldn't it make sense to unify all the
boot loader handling code?

>  In particular, is it impossible/plausible/probable that most
> architectures will move to EFI, and if so, will virtualization also
> move to EFI eventually?  That would mean syslinux is not a long-term
> option.

Why would that mean syslinux is not a long-term option?  It doesn't
support EFI in today's released versions, but support is in development.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>