Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 18:49:43 UTC 2013

Orion Poplawski (orion at cora.nwra.com) said:
> I'm not trying to disparage this work, it seems reasonable (although
> I've been bitten by a lot of crappy software assuming network
> devices are named eth#, but it's able to be turned off, so meh).

We went through most of the things we shipped back when biosdevname was
first introduced and filed a *lot* of bugs to get all those cases fixed,
so we *should* be much better there. (Can't speak to third-party software,
obviously).

If any of those fixes involved merely adding the biosdevname namespaces to
whitelists instead of properly getting device names, well, I'm not
*supposed* to promote an attitude of violence, but...

Bill