Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:06:10 UTC 2013

On 01/24/2013 03:19 PM, Remi Collet wrote:
> Le 24/01/2013 02:49, Andrew Rist a écrit :
>> We've been following the discussions to replace MySQL with MariaDB
>
> /me speaking from my experience.
>
> I don't maintain MySQL, but various other mysql packages
> (mysql-utilities, mysql-connector-python, mysql-workbench, ...).
>
> Maintaining Oracle stuff in Fedora becomes a nightmare.
>
> Every new release introduce new issues, mostly because there is a lack
> of communication (upstream and downstream)
>
>  From my POV, Oracle simply don't care.
>
> I think Oracle have choose the bad way, with OpenSource projects, and
> I'm really happy to see a community response (various forks and switch
> to MariaDB ,for various distro).
>
> I simply hope that MariaDB will not stay in sync with original MySQL and
> will get enough resources to become a real project (but I think they are
> on the road).

If we put Oracles history aside Oracle can (co)maintain what ever
component they want in the distribution as long as there are no legal
reasons not to do.

So if Oracle or any of it's employees are willing and able to put the
effort of maintaining mysql or any other component in Fedora they are
welcome to do so just as any other Fedora contributor.

JBG