Proposed F19 Feature: Replace MySQL with MariaDB

Norvald Ryeng norvald.ryeng at oracle.com
Thu Jan 24 20:11:42 UTC 2013

----- Fedora at FamilleCollet.com wrote:

> Le 24/01/2013 02:49, Andrew Rist a écrit :
> > We've been following the discussions to replace MySQL with MariaDB
>
> /me speaking from my experience.
>
> I don't maintain MySQL, but various other mysql packages
> (mysql-utilities, mysql-connector-python, mysql-workbench, ...).
>
> Maintaining Oracle stuff in Fedora becomes a nightmare.
>
> Every new release introduce new issues, mostly because there is a lack
> of communication (upstream and downstream)

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the lack of communication. I'm a MySQL
developer, and for the last year I've been working with different
packagers. Linux distributions are an important part of our community,
and we'd like very much to hear your feedback and help make package
maintainers' lives easier. We've had a really constructive cooperation
on MySQL with Debian and Ubuntu the last year, and I am hoping we can
extend that to Fedora and other distributions. Please let me know how I
can help and be a direct connection to MySQL Engineering, bypassing all
the FUD currently out there.

This goes for both MySQL Server and related packages, such as those you
maintain.

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng