Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 24 22:32:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24.01.13 22:28, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) wrote:

> > What concerns would people have with this naming? Off the top of my head:
> >
> > - wwan devices aren't always discoverable (they can show up as ethernet)
> > - devices that biosdevname considers emX via enumeration/guessing would
> >   now have enpXsY, which could be considered 'uglier'
>
> Do we actually need to change the naming of onboard devices from emN ?

One problem with biosdevname is that it uses different naming schemes in
the same namespace. For us, predictability means that by looking at the
lspci or DMI information of your card you can deterministically figure
out how your network interface is going to be named, but also the
reverse, that by looking at an interface name you can figure out where
precisely the data came from. With biosdevname' scheme you cannot do
that as using different enumeration within the same namespace might
result in name clashes, and hence we think it's a good idea to stay away
from the old namespace.

>  I wouldn't be surprised to see em1 hardcoded the same way eth0 used
> to be hardcoded.  Getting rid of the type-dependent prefix would also
> resolve the wwan concern.

On upgrades biosdevname would stay installed, so if the old name is
hardcoded it would still apply fine.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.