Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jan 24 22:38:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24.01.13 14:57, Bill Nottingham (notting at redhat.com) wrote:

> Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > But I guess we simply have a different definition of a user here. Your
> > > definition is probably closer to what the page calls "admins", which is
> > > covered by the next lines in the feature page, which you didn't paste:
> >
> > Right. For Fedora, developers and admins are an important subset of users.
> >
> > > "As biosdevname is installed by default ...  most administrators won't
> > > see this either. "
> >
> > If the new scheme really is better, we should suck it up and make the whole
> > change. It'd be better to do what we can to make that transition easier --
> > like using similar names were possible -- than to have a weird mixed state.
>
> So, thinking - if we were to go this route, I think we'd want a clean
> break, where we don't use biosdevname at all if we're using this.
>
> The simplest way to do that would be:
> - change biosdevname to not be installed by default
> - enable these rules only on install, not on upgrade
> both of which are pretty easily doable.

This is pretty much what both Gentoo and Arch decided to do (both of
them already adopted the scheme for new installs).

I am not too much of a fan of disable-something-on-upgrade schemes, but
I guess if that's what it takes. Also I have no better idea...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.