F18 metalink urls pointing to development/18 instead of releases/18/Everything

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 24 22:57:51 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:58:22 +0800
Zhang San <wheelz at 163.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 January 2013 08:35:51 Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the Fedora 18 metalink-urls as being used in /etc/yum.repo.d/*repo,
> > e.g.
> > https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$bas
> > earch,
> >
> > are still pointing to */development/18
> > instead of */releases/18/Everything, as they should after a release.
> >
> > Ralf
> Same problem as Fedora 17 just released.

This is deliberate for a while after release... although we should
switch now.

The reason is:

After staging content for release, all the releases/18 directories are
closed to allow mirrors time to get content. If we changed the
mirrormanager links then, people who had f18 installed before release
would get permission denied trying to install anything from the base
repo.

The permissions are opened at release, but we wait a while to pick up
mirrors that might not sync all the time.

Since development/18 and releases/18 are hardlinked, it's not much
space difference and doesn't really cause any problems, it just looks
weird. ;)

Anyhow, we will be switching this soon.

kevin