drop inheritance at f19 branch point?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jan 24 23:02:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:09:57 +0100
Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 24.1.2013 14:40, Bruno Wolff III napsal(a):
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 13:06:21 +0100,
> >   Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> It definitely depends on package. I should be the one who knows
> >> about my packages the best if there is some breaking potential.
> >
> > Every time you don't do an update in rawhide and rely on
> > inheritence, the changes that go out to updates-testing don't go to
> > rawhide, leaving rawhide behind the previous release.
>
> That is not failure of inheritance .... Actually, the true is that
> the tag should inherit from updates-testing. I already questioned
> this behavior before, unfortunately can't remember where and why :/

Yeah, the problem with inheriting from updates-testing is that
updates-testing can 'go back'. You could have a bad updates-testing
build and unpush it and it goes away. Users who have it installed have
to figure this out and manually downgrade.

Additionally, things that land in rawhide land in the buildroot, so,
updates-testing branched updates could break the rawhide buildroot, or
cause problems for rawhide built packages, then disappear.

Rawhide doesn't go back in versions ever, so this would break that.

You could argue that if it's something updates-testing people can do,
rawhide people could too, but I fear if we changed that policy people
would abuse it in rawhide. So, I for one wouldn't want to change the
rawhide policy there.

kevin