Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 24 23:21:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 18:11 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 23.01.13 22:17, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 19:47 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > > Aren't they just testing an upgrade of the default install?
> >
> > Correct:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_desktop is the only current upgrade test case.
> >
> > We could plausibly extend the range somewhat to cover common package
> > loadouts (GNOME, KDE, minimal perhaps) and common configuration wrinkles
> > (non-US keyboard layout, encryption, a couple of different partition
> > schemes), for _one_ upgrade method. Anything beyond that would be a bit
> > of a stretch, I think.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to test the "full install"? In contrast to other
> distributions it should be possible to install all our RPMs at once
> (modulo arch specific ones that is). If that thing upgrades properly,
> then you have a pretty good chance it will work for most subsets too?

It's probably a useful test case to add, yeah, but I can think of
several scenarios where it wouldn't cover things (by definition it
probably wouldn't catch cases where a necessary dependency was missing
in an upgraded package, for instance :>). It helps to some degree to
cover against issues in the package set, but it still doesn't innoculate
us against configuration differences - hardware borking between kernel
releases, different partition layouts etc.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey