Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2013-01-09)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 00:30:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 13:31 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 03:02:05PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > KDE indeed doesn't do it systemwide. We really need system-config-keyboard
> > > fixed! This should have been a release blocker. :-/
> >
> > No reason why. It's practically the poster child for something that can
> > be fixed with a post-release update, as it by definition only affects
> > post-release configuration. I didn't even bother nominating it as a
> > blocker and it would have been comfortably rejected if it had been
> > proposed.
>
> Unless your password contains characters affected by the keyboard
> layout.  One of the user accounts I test with is set up like this, and
> frequently hits this sort of bug -- I recommend others try the same
> thing.

Boy, these eggs sure are fun to suck!

You can't run system-config-keyboard between steps of installation or
between installation and firstboot, so it's pretty academic. We tested
and found several issues in all sorts of variants on keyboard stuff
during install and firstboot during F18 validation and made calls as to
which are blockers and which aren't, and fixed the blockers. I spent
like a week on this alone. Fixing or not fixing s-c-k is kind of
orthogonal to all that, as a working s-c-k doesn't really *help* you at
all if we nerf your keyboard during install / first boot somehow.

Oh, BTW, Kevin, if KDE can't set system-wide keyboard config, you should
probably file a bug to have KDE taken out of its DontShowIn line.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey