Status to make btsfs to the standard filesystem of Fedora

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Jan 25 04:30:37 UTC 2013

On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:27 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well that's not the one I was thinking of, actually - I believe I was
> hit by cases where some subvols use redundancy, in which case df goes
> completely wrong. I'd have to re-install and re-check to be sure of
> exactly what I saw go wrong, though.

Oh yeah that. Not sure what to fix here. df for Btrfs volumes is very literal, whereas df is actually fibbing when it comes to md raid1. And everyone is used to the fib.

2x 80GB virtual disks, mkfs.btrfs -d raid1 -m raid1:

# df -h
/dev/sdb        160G   56K  158G   1% /mnt

Whereas, 3x 80GB virtual disks, mkfs.btrfs -d raid1 -m raid1:

# df -h
/dev/sdb        240G   56K  160G   1% /mnt

The thing that makes this difficult, md arrays have a fixed raid level. Where as Btrfs volumes don't. Not implemented yet, but planned is per subvolume and per file raid levels, so in that case we have to be literal about the reported size of volume being the combined capacity of all block devices in the Btrfs volume. Or you get a real problem.

Chris Murphy