Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Jan 25 05:42:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:46:24PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:

> We are all grown up enough to decide for our own, just give the
> information and let the admin take care of that.

Well, that's the problem. Most of our users (including many of the
professional sysadmins) are *not* able to make a fully informed choice
about whether an online upgrade will ensure that they're no longer
running any code with known security issues. That's not a criticism of
them - it's just a much harder problem than almost everyone realises.

Nobody's suggesting making it impossible to use yum, but blessing it as
a first-class distribution upgrade mechanism is a bad idea. There's far
too many corner cases, and we can't justify the effort it'd take to fix
all of them.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org