Proposed F19 Feature: Syslinux Option

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 06:28:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 18:57 +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > = Features/SyslinuxOption =
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SyslinuxOption
> >
> > Feature owner(s):  Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> >
> > This feature will make Syslinux an optional bootloader for Fedora, in
> > kickstart and via a hidden Anaconda option. When used this way, it will
> > replace grub2.
>
> So, to summarize, this saves <= 6 MB of disk space, and <= 1 second of
> boot time, at the cost of extra maintenance and QA burden in anaconda
> and grubby?
>
> I'd love to hear what anaconda developers and Fedora QA think about
> this trade-off.

The proposal doesn't appear to include making this release blocking
functionality, so we'd feel no particular obligation to test it
extensively. So I don't see any real QA impact at least in the short
term. We could by all means throw an optional test in the matrix for
people to run if they want to, writing one would be, oh, ten minutes of
hard labour.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey