Proposed F19 Feature: JRuby 1.7 - JRuby is an alternative Ruby implementation

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 25 08:34:40 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hello,
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com>
> wrote:

To me, typing "rails _jruby_" is more comfortable than "jruby /usr/bin/rails" (yep, I agree that this is a matter of opinion). Also, I'm not sure whether I mentioned a Ruby way of running certain versions of Gems executables, so I'll mention it again [1] (scroll a bit lower to see invoking specific version of rake with "rake _0.7.3_"). This is how we got the idea in the first place and why we think it would be quite convenient for ruby devs.

> >> Changing the semantics of command-line arguments in unexpected
> >> ways
> >> really worries me - it has security implications; e.g. creating a
> >> file
> >> named _jruby_ would change the semantics of running "my_script *".
> >
> > It's true, that it would run actually run _jruby_ and ignore the
> > file, although I'm not sure what security risks that brings. Could
> > you be more specific?
>
> I don't really have a specific concern; it just doesn't "feel right"
> to override application behavior this way (and, from a security point
> of view, "composition kills" - having harmless corner cases in
> packages A, B, C may mean that there is a vulnerability when A,B,C
> are
> used together).
>
> Looking at the rubypick script, it seems to actually override "-h",
> which would be very user-noticeable.

Yes, the idea is to also provide the info about rubypick when using ruby -h, but that doesn't break anything. Ruby's help is printed after rubypick's anyway, so I really don't see what harm this may do.

>     Mirek
> --

Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.